Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A Return to Form

Long ago, I used to try and do a weekly post called, creatively, "This Week in the Web." I eventually abandoned the concept, partly because it became too much of a chore to keep up with, and partly because social media seemed to have created a new, easier way to share information that I liked.

At the moment, however, I'm in the midst of a month long (minimum) Facebook hiatus, which left me seemingly unable to share articles. Then I got my weekly "Wandering Weights" from Dan John, and it reminded me that there are other ways to share info. I get emails from a couple of sources (Dan John, Skill of Strength, Rodney King) that are all basically collections of articles, sometimes with commentary. It works pretty well. So I'm going to try going back to doing it here.

There will be, for the moment, no set schedule of this. It's just me sharing stuff I think is cool, thought-provoking, or both.

Here we go.

----

Lore and I had a good conversation one evening. She wrote a blog post about it, and captures a lot of my own thinking as well as hers.

"Where training falls in their spectrum of priorities is going to be different for every single person."

There's a lot of other stuff buried in the post, but that is the core premise. People have different priorities, and that is a-ok. Train as much as you can. I've noticed in my own coaching, I've moved more and more into a position of telling people "look, just come train. Do what you can do. Something is better than nothing." This is not directly related, but it's part of the same thought process.  

https://positiveforcestrength.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/whats-your-priority/
---

Doing a Muay Thai seminar a couple of weeks ago, I overheard one student apologize to another for her pad holding. Because she was new to holding pads, the student felt like she wasn't making her partner "sweat enough."

Which is, of course, not the point of pad work.

Chip Conrad gets at the whole problem more eloquently than I did.

"When we work on improving our skills, there is a byproduct of getting tired. Through the course of fitness industrial history, it was deemed easier to sell the byproduct than the actual skill-building journey. We’re now, as a culture, distracted by our belief that getting tired is the goal. Getting tired is somehow the magic path, and the industry currently markets it under another name."

http://www.bodytribe.com/2016/07/29/stop-lying-to-yourself/

---
Another one from Lore. This was mostly interesting to me because I've had this idea kicking around in my head that many of the benefits that are touted as products of martial arts training (which often have a pop-Zen fortune cookie attachment to them) could be found in other endeavors, including strength training (and that, in some respects, strength training might be a better vehicle for some of those concepts). I have a lot of learning to do on both the strength end and the mindfulness end, but the concept intrigues me.

http://www.strongfirst.com/zen-art-barbell-training/

--

I think that's a good start. I'm going to bed. Enjoy the reading.

No comments: