Blog Archive

Monday, February 8, 2016

A Real Gold Mine From Adam T. Glass

This is the sort of article that I might just normally share on my Facebook page, but there is enough of value in here that I wanted to be able to comment on things in a bit more depth than Facebook allows.

The article itself.

[Addendum: At the time I'm writing this, the post from Adam appears to have disappeared, which is really unfortunate. I don't know if it's a minor site issue, or if Adam is vanishing from the world. I hope it's a temporary thing, because the whole article is worth the read. It's a fascinating insight into one man's journey through a bunch of related training systems (various KB methods), and his takeaways, good and bad, from each. ]

Addendum Two: The article is back up.

Some of the gold bits:

"The big problem for me–I don’t think anyone is “right” when we talk about kettlebells. There are more or less 5 principle schools of KBs, and I think they are all wrong. They are wrong in the sense of “Does this work best for Adam T. Glass” The answer is a solid “Nope” Surely you must understand by now. The only measuring stick of success must be how effective something is for you."(Emphasis Mine)

People in the martial arts/self-defense community love to argue about whose methods are best or what art is the most effective. I think Adam's answer works pretty well for this question: you are the only measuring stick of whether or not your training is working for you. If it is, fuck the haters. If it's not, fix it. End of discussion.

"So, from Mike Mahler “The heaviest KB you train with is the heaviest KB you train with”"

The martial artists version of this might be, "the best person you train with is the best person you train with."

I've had the privilege of training with some elite level athletes over the years. Being around people who are really, really good forces you to try and get better. In some cases, you might know you'll never catch up, but it's still worth the effort to try.

"From Jeff Martone Keep it Light and Happy (KILAH)"

More martial artists should or could train this way. Training needs to be fun on some level, or it's really not worth all the trouble. If you can show up, laugh, learn some stuff, and show up again, you'll make a lot more progress than you will beating the crap out of yourself and your partners over and over again.

From Chuck
“Is your goal to train hard or train smart?” Train to make it hard and it will always be hard"

I have reached a place where, when someone tells me how hard a class or training session was, my response (at least internally) is usually "so what?". Any idiot can teach a hard class. I taught a lot of hard classes when I was younger. Some of them were good classes anyway, but some of them were just dumb (but they were hard).

Hard for the sake of hard isn't particularly impressive or useful.


"First thing- I only use kettlebells for drills that make sense to use kettlebells. I am working to increase my absolute pressing strength- which means back to the axle and the barbell. Now matter how hard you may think pressing a 48 is- its still only 106lbs. Not that much. I have a goal of a 300lbs axle strict press this year- pressing 48’s is not going to get that. Use the right tool for the right job."[emphasis mine, I think]

Again, this is so obvious that it seems silly to point it out, but people miss it.

I had the opportunity to train briefly with a really good Chen Tai Chi instructor (sadly, our schedules stopped lining up). We had a funny conversation at one point, because apparently some of his San Shou training partners really wanted him to either get into MMA, or teach them Chen so that they could use it in MMA. Which was nice, except it wasn't at all where his path was going, and none of them were going to take the time to actually get the point where the Chen was applicable. And even if it did, there were more direct routes there.

Want to learn self-defense? Study self-defense? Want to learn sport? Train for the sport? Want to preserve a tradition. Go nuts. Just be clear about what you're doing, and why you're doing it.





2 comments:

Derek Simonds said...

Adam is not disappearing. He might be revamping the website. He is continually pushing the envelope on what a human can do. You can follow him on FB. Training smart and right tool for the job are definitely nuggets of wisdom that apply to any different type of training. Derek

Jake said...

Thanks for the head's up. I've amended the post.