Blog Archive

Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 in Review

It's the time of year for this sort of thing, I suppose.  I'm not much for New Year's resolutions or goals at this point, but it doesn't hurt.

2015 has been quite a year. People often talk about having a work/life balance, with the assumption that work is out of balance to life. For me, this year, I think it's been the other way around.

The year started with the birth of our daughter, which quickly lead to a realization that four people and one dog simply do not fit comfortably inside a two bedroom apartment. This lead to a long, long moving process, partly because the decision about where to move was a pretty complex one. I'm more comfortable talking about this now that it is done, but there was some pretty serious talk about moving out of state completely. That process ended about a month ago, when we moved into our new house, which we are now still setting up.

The net result of all of that was that I didn't have much time to devote to business or training. I maintained my clients and classes, and squeezed in a few workshops, but overall, it was a slow year on that front. Likewise, my writing, here and elsewhere, got shoved onto the back burner. I re-certed my SFG, but my hopes of much deeper into the S&C thing were kept on hold.

And that's all okay. My family came first, and everything we did was important. We are now in a much, much better place on so many fronts, that I have no cause for complaint.

That said, my personal practice is improving. I've been getting back onto the mat for some BJJ practice. I've started learning some Bagua, which is scratching that Chinese Internal bug I've had in my head for a while. That leaves some other bugs unscratched, but one thing at a time.

As a coach, I've been getting into a better spot. There were some shake ups around my training environment that made the whole thing much, much better. I'm being deliberately vague here, but suffice it to say that changing the people you're around can make a huge difference in how you feel about coaching and training. I'm way, way, happier coaching now than I was at the beginning of the year. And that's nice.

I got to connect with some cool people over the year. Saw Coach Blauer in person, and was reminded that you can learn a lot over a beer. Got to do some fun stuff with Rory. Met a bunch of cool people as a result.

I feel like I'm reconnecting with a bunch of things that I had forgotten or left behind. It feels pretty good.

I'd like to pick up things more in the new year, but we'll see how it all shakes out. As noted, I don't really like New Year's goals, so I'll see what I can manage in the coming months. I know I need to re-cert my SFL this year. Outside of that, we'll see what I can make happen.

Onward.


No comments: