Blog Archive

Friday, September 25, 2015

More Thoughts From a Post-Rory Experience.

Got to participate in a portion of the filming of one of Rory's upcoming DVDs, which pushed some things I've been kicking around in my head a bit further.

Running through some of the drills I did there, and at some other workshops recently, I was struck by the realization that, when given the opportunity, I wasn't really moving like a Nak Muay. Yes, some of what I was defaulting to was PDR/SPEAR stuff (which makes sense for self-defense drills), but I was also finding myself pulling out movements and things from systems I haven't practiced in decades. Head and neck manipulations that I learned in Aikido and some classical JMA. A couple of Uechi tricks. I've been mulling over why I'm returning to that stuff.

Possibilities include:

1. Drill bias: Rory's a Judo/Jujitsu guy at heart, and it's possible that his drills are biased to favor the strategies and tactics that he favors. That may even be intentional.

2. Social bias/pressure: for a lot of these drills, I was working with people whose background is in various "traditional" (damn, I hate that word) martial arts, and I may have been unconsciously playing along.

3. Lodged in my brain bias: the Structure and Void workshop, in particular, got me thinking about some of the concepts from the arts that I started in, and they may just be coming out because I'm thinking about them, and want to play with them.

4. Personal Bias: Fun fact...I'm a Muay Thai coach who likes grappling. Seriously. I mean, Muay Thai is great, but grappling is the thing that I've always loved but have never made the time to pursue (or did, and then lost the time). It's something that I've always wanted to get back to, and am slowly starting to. Maybe I just need to direct more energy that way (when I can). 

In some ways, this is just an extension of a thought I had after the Structure and Void workshop. Namely, that I need to start making clearer distinctions in my head (and in teaching/training) between what I need for myself as an athlete/martial artist/whatever, and what my students need from me as a coach. Both are areas to work on, but they may be moving in somewhat different directions.

2 comments:

considerphlebas said...

... no option is "because it works"?

Jake said...

Ha. Yeah, good call. That's certainly plausible.

I realize this wasn't clear when I wrote it--I don't view any of this as problematic. It was working. If it keeps working, great. It's not a bad thing, just an interesting thing. Trying to sort out my brain.