Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Best

“If I tell you I'm good, probably you will say I'm boasting. But if I tell you I'm not good, you'll know I'm lying.” -- Bruce Lee

Every now and then, I get the question, "so, you think what you do/teach is the best, huh?" It's usually asked with the same kind of loaded tone that I suspect Bruce Lee was dealing with when he made the above quip.

On the one hand: my default answer to this is that I believe, completely and sincerely in the idea of Coaches, Not Styles. A great coach will produce competent practitioners (however you judge that) with a less-than-optimal style. A lousy coach will produce lousy practitioners, regardless of how great the style they are teaching supposedly is. A "style" or system can't fix bad coaching.



On the other hand: yes, of course I think what I'm doing is "the best". I don't think it's PERFECT, because I know that I can always improve what and how I'm teaching, but it is the best thing I know how to teach right now. Because if it wasn't, and I was still teaching it, that would be completely irresponsible of me.

Does that mean that I think people who don't teach exactly like me aren't good, or that they can't produce good results? Of course not. That wouldn't just be absurdly egotistical, it would fly in the face of real world evidence. People learn how to successfully defend themselves from people teaching systems that are different from the one I teach. Other coaches, other camps, produce successful Muay Thai fighters. Or successful fighters who don't even do Muay Thai.

So yes, I think what I do is the best, because I'm always teaching the best information I've got. But other people have good info too. It's not a zero-sum game.


No comments: