Blog Archive

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Random Reflections from a Half Day with Rory and Co.

Got to spend a chunk of Thursday hanging out with Rory and the usual suspects (Jeff, Bill, Lisa, Tia, Chris, and Norm), and participating in the filming of part of Rory's DVD on Infighting. The DVD itself should be cool. I like Rory's ideas a lot, and it's always fun to get to play with his material.

It's been a while since I got to just go be a student and play. I miss it, a lot. Being a coach is not the same thing--even when you get to go onto the mat and play, the dynamic is different. There are expectations that you bring onto the mat, and that your students bring onto the mat as well. It is fun, but it is a different kind of play then just going out to play on your own.

It's extra fun when you're playing with people who you know well enough to trust, but who aren't a direct part of your training circle. Getting independent feedback is fun.

Grappling and infighting are wicked fun, for the record. I need to play with them more.

The power generation stuff was neat. Again, stuff worth playing with.

Uechi Ryu, like Aikido, remains on my list of arts that I find peripherally fascinating, but will probably never get around to seriously studying again. 

I need to get the Experiment going again, and will probably try to do so within the next month or two. Interested parties, hit me up.

Rory said something toward the end that resonated with me a lot. I'm going to paraphrase, and probably expand, but the gist was that the goal of the next generation of martial arts instruction needs to focus on teaching people how to be better, and how to get them better faster.

I think this is true, and key. During lunch, we were talking about the teaching of techniques, and whether or not Rory should do more of it. I don't think he should. The world is full of techniques. People don't need more techniques. They need better teaching methods. This is a theme that's been hitting me over and over again for the last couple of weeks.

We have the technical knowledge for a lot of things. We know how to win fights. We know how to make people stronger, faster, or more mobile. The need exists not for better ways to do these things as much as the need for better ways to teach people these things.

Seems like a worth pursuit.

No comments: