Blog Archive

Monday, May 12, 2014

Reference Points

Had a couple of moments over the last month where people commented on something I said or did as being in line with either things they teach, or that their teachers teach.

I take that as a good sign. If I'm lining up with teachers who are better than me, I figure I'm on the right track.

Even better, these were people or teachers with whom my connection is indirect. In other words, they aren't my teacher, or even my teacher's teacher. They are a friend, or a friend's teacher (in a system I don't study). I think that's a very good sign.

It's one thing if people inside your own system or group think you're doing something right. It can be a good sign, but it can just as easily be a product of groupthink.

In other words, if your instructor agrees with what you're teaching, it may be a sign that you're on the right track, or it's just a sign that you just bought into the bullshit that your teacher is selling. If someone who has no connection to you seems to agree with what you're saying or teaching, then you have a reference point from someone who has no reason either to buy into your bullshit, or to see you propagate their own.

(Of course, if you go far enough, you'll always find someone who thinks that what you're teaching is wrong. The line has to stop somewhere.)

No comments: