Blog Archive

Sunday, February 9, 2014

You were not brought upon this world to get it!

After years of blogging, I've finally managed to get to use a quote from Big Trouble in Little China in a blog. I don't know if I can ever truly top this.

The delivery does make the line.






If you have no idea what this scene is from, stop reading this blog and go watch the movie. It won't change your understanding of the blog at all, but the movie is awesome.

This popped into my head the other day when someone on my Facebook feed shared out something about one of the "mud runs" that apparently are so popular these days. Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, one of those things. As near as I can tell, the object is to spend a few hours either running, or clambering around unpleasant obstacles designed to make you tired, dirty, sore, or some combination of the three.

If you can't tell from that description, I really don't get the appeal. At all.

But here's the thing: it really doesn't matter that I don't get it. Because for some people, this is a terrifically awesome thing.

This ties back into my general gripe about people constantly feeling the need to tear down thing they don't like or don't understand. The martial arts and fitness industries are both rife with this crap. People tearing down this style or that instructor. Constant articles about how this style of training sucks, or why that piece of equipment is bad.

And hey, I'm guilty of those thoughts too. Like I said: "mud runs"? Do not get it.

But, to paraphrase the "basket-case on wheels," I was not brought upon this earth to get it.

I have no idea when it became a thing that if you don't understand an activity, that automatically means it's bad, but that's just not true.

You don't like CrossFit? Who cares? Lots of people do.

You don't understand why someone would want to train exclusively in Olympic Tae Kwon Do? The people doing Olympic TKD don't care.

The fact that you don't "get it" doesn't mean it has no value for anyone else. It means it has no value for you. That's fine. Don't do the things you don't get. But stop shitting on other people for doing them.

Here's a thought for you: the next time you feel the need to tear down someone else's choice of activity, teacher, or training method, consider this.

You may not have been brought upon this earth to get it.

No comments: