Blog Archive

Monday, November 25, 2013

Revisiting A Theme

I thought of this post last Friday. I was shocked to see that I wrote back in 2009. Time flies, apparently.

Re-reading it, I think the substance still applies, even if some of the superficiality has changed. My teaching style is not the same as it was five years ago (nor should it be).

The underlying substance is still true, however. I am a harsh critic sometimes. What I think is sometimes missed by my students is that I'm a harsh critic because I believe in them. I believe they can do better. Can be better.

If you are a student of mine, know this: when I tell you to fix the way you're kicking, or to keep your damned hands up (again), it's not because I'm picking on you, or that I think you suck, or that I don't like you. Quite the opposite.  I tell you to fix these things because I see in you the potential to be so much greater than you are, and I want you to get there. I want to see you flourish.



1 comment:

Lynn Folsom said...

You are one of the few people on the planet to reign me in and keep me focused on my goals.. so thankful for having you in my corner, I appreciate the criticism and that you won't let me half ass anything!!
You are an outstanding educator & coach.
~lynn