Blog Archive

Monday, November 4, 2013

"Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

The title of this post is a quote from Ross Enamait, from his excellent blog entry here.

It resonated closely with an article Coach Blauer shared a while back, from CrossFit trainer Pat Sherwood. Among the lines that stuck out in my head was this:

I highly doubt that as I lie on my deathbed I will say “Man, I wish I had gotten more involved in that Twitter battle and spent less time outside truly living".

I see this all the time in the martial arts, in the fitness industry...hell, in damn near everything. People love to spend time talking about things they hate. Things that they think suck. Hell, writing articles bashing CrossFit has become a cottage industry, and there are martial artists who seem to thrive on spending their time trying to tear down other people's systems.

I'm not talking about healthy debate--I'm talking about just outright hatred.

It's beyond silly, it's useless. There are so many larger problems in this world: if CrossFit gets someone exercising, fantastic. Ditto for Yoga, Pilates, Powerlifting, or whatever.

If you must use your time to rail against the problems of the world, why not focus on real problems? There are children without homes or food, people of all ages dying of horrific diseases, and a host of other more significant problems than whether or not people are doing an exercise routine or practicing a martial art you don't like.

I'll be working real hard not to be part of the problem anymore.

No comments: