Blog Archive

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Disconnecting/Reconnecting

Spent a week in Maine with the family. Small lakeside cabin. WIFI, but I left the computer at home. Checked email sporadically. Ignored FaceBook, Twitter, and other social media completely.

Also didn't train, at all. Read A Study in Scarlet for the first time, the first three books in Stephen Brust's Vlad Taltos series, and started on the Maltese Falcon.

Just totally disconnected.

It was wonderful. It was also illuminating. I got to rediscover parts of myself I've allowed to fade into the background, or almost completely away. I honestly thought I had lost the ability to sit and read for hours at a time. Turns out that I haven't, I just haven't had the time, space, and lack of distractions.

In disconnecting, I reconnected. Remembered that I love fantasy lit, to the point where, if you shift the timeline a little bit, I'd be a guy working in the publishing industry with an interest in the martial arts, instead of being a professional martial artist with an interest in writing. I remembered that, actually, I'm pretty strongly interested in doing some kind of weapon-based art (I fenced in the SCA a decade ago, and did a smattering of Filipino stuff...it was fun).

And I remembered some of the reasons that I love doing the martial arts, strength training, and all that. Came back much more energized and invigorated. Got some exciting stuff in the works, methinks.

Decided that FaceBook has it's benefits, but ultimately, ends up adding more negativity than positivity to my life. I won't leave it--too many friends, too much utility for my business--but I need to stay off it more than on it.

Sometimes it's nice to rediscover things about yourself.

No comments: