Blog Archive

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Honest Evaluations

This was inspired by a conversation with Rory a while back. A long while, as I reflect on it. It takes me time to get this stuff on paper sometimes.

Rory and I were discussing some counter-knife videos that we had viewed, and both noticed something interesting.

In some of the videos, when the drills became dynamic (resistance is introduced, choreography was gone), the tactics being taught in the videos failed. Sometimes they failed occasionally, sometimes consistently. It being counter-knife videos, some of those failures could have been catastrophic.

The thing is...no one seemed to notice. The failure wasn't addressed. There was never a moment where the instructor said "yeah, I know this isn't always working, but it's the best we've got." There was no acknowledgment of the failure at all.

Which makes we wonder...how are these people actually evaluating their methods?

At what point do we get so blind that, even when it's clear that what we're doing isn't work, we keep doing it anyway? How do we reach a point where we believe that what we're doing works, even when it objectively does not?

(I am not suggesting that I'm immune to this, by the way. I'm probably not...but if I'm right about this, I can't see it either.)

How do you keep your evaluations honest?

1 comment:

Maija said...

Honorable enemies :-)