Blog Archive

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ending the War

Two months ago, I decided that I was going to commit to losing a bunch of a weight over the holiday season. 

So, two months later, where am I?

As of Saturday morning, I was 171.5 pounds. That's down from 187 in November.

My weight has not been this low since I was in fight training, and yet, I did not train like I was training for a fight. And while I may not look like I just walked off the set of 300 (a terrible movie, for the record), I'm definitely a lot leaner and healthier than I was two months ago.

Really, this is mostly diet. I think the last couple of weeks I dropped a bit more because I've ramped up my kettlebell work to start prepping for the StrongFirst cert in April, but honestly...just sticking with the diet did wonders.

What did I do? Super short version? Bought Leigh Peele's Fat Loss Troubleshoot, did what it said to do.

Short version: figured out my daily caloric needs, ate in a deficit, made sure I got a good balance of macro-nutrients, tracked and measured my calories.

The last one was the biggest. I didn't realize until I started actually weighing and measuring food, along with tracking it, just how much I was putting into my mouth. It wasn't always bad (though sometimes it was), but even if it was good, it was too much of a good thing.

Along the way, I discovered that some things I though weren't too bad for me were actually awful. And vis-versa.

I managed to stay consistently in a deficit or maintenance level most days. There were a few I went overboard. I let it go. One really nice thing about this experience was that I feel like I'm finally learning to just say "I am choosing to overeat today, and that is really okay" instead of feeling guilty about it. Yeah, I stuffed my face at Thanksgiving, but hey...it's THANKSGIVING. Ross Enamait has a great post on this.

Even with a few slips, I clearly stayed on track.

I'm very happy with where I am at this point. And while I'm sure I could keep pushing the fat loss down, since ramping up my kettlebell training, I'm finding that I am getting hungrier and hungrier in  the deficit I've been holding. Plus, I want to keep my mental energy focused on one goal, and trying to stay in a deficit in combination with high intensity KB work five days a week just doesn't seem feasible. I'll be shooting to maintain my weight (roughly) over the next four months at least, and probably a bit after that.  I will probably continue weighing, measuring, and tracking my food, because it helps keep me honest and I really don't MIND doing it, but I will be loosening up a bit from here on out.

I think I've probably said it obliquely enough, but let me say it here directly: I owe Leigh Peele a lot of thanks for this. Her material and guidance helped get me here. If you are struggling with fat loss, I really recommend you check her stuff out.

Looking forward to 2013.



No comments: