Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Random Thoughts On the Inner Workings of my Brain

Despite having been in the martial arts and combat sports for a couple of decades, it's only recently that I've even begun to get into things like exercise science and physiology. Now that I'm getting into it, I'm discovering how much I like it, and wishing that I had gotten into it earlier.

I came from a liberal arts background--the kind pretty much guaranteed to not really land you a job. History and Classical Studies major in undergrad. MA in Teaching English (okay, that will get you a job, but I couldn't handle it mentally). MA in Publishing and Writing.

So yeah, not much science. A lot of training in thinking though. Thinking which really impacts the way I think about martial arts and physical training, though I'm only now starting to appreciate it.

Classical Studies is a pretty odd and interesting field, especially if you're an undergrad. It's part history, part archaeology, part literature, part language...it's basically a bit of everything, but all focused on a limited period of time and geography.

What's interesting about it is that you start to see connections. How art links up with literature. How literature represents history. How myths support art. How we know any of this (archaeology). It's all tied together.

Teaching is teaching. The underlying principles are good principles. (Good body mechanics are good body mechanics.)

Writing...it's about expression. But also about digging deeper. Asking "why?" Why did you say this, and not that? Why this word choice?  Why not this one? Did you intend to convey this impression? Did you want your readers to believe this idea?

Do you even need this word? Can you say what you're saying more efficiently? More effectively?


I'm not sure why it clicked tonight how much that comes out in my martial arts thinking, but it makes more sense to me now. Why I keep searching for the connections. Integration. Streamlining. Efficiency. Powerful expression.


2 comments:

Val Grimm said...

And that is not only an argument for the benefits of a liberal arts education, but for what you have to uniquely offer as teacher and as a student of self defense and martial arts.

Andy said...

Interesting, thinking about efficiency in Martial arts and in writing, it seems so obvious and easy, but whenever my boss reads my writing out loud to me or my Instructor mirrors my own movements to me, I realize how inefficient I can be. Does that mean I should be reading my own writing out loud and looking at myself in the mirror?