Blog Archive

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Interconnected

Sometime back in 2003, or thereabouts, I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It turns out to be one of my favorite of that series, partly because it's about the conflict between those people who have been in real fights and those people who just fantasize about being in real fights.

No, seriously. I said so at the time, and I still say so. Go back and read it if you don't believe me.

Here's the thing. The longer I train, the more I find that I'm doing stuff like that. I find connections from the things I've learned studying Muay Thai and the Personal Defense Readiness (PDR) Program (and learning about martial arts/fighting in general) and discover that they apply in other places. Sometimes there's correlations in physical activities (ballroom dance, strength training). Sometimes there are deeper correlations (minimalist philosophy).

Is my constantly drawing back to the martial arts as a frame of reference a sign of the power the arts have to illuminate other areas of our lives? Or a sign of an obsessive compulsive disorder? Hard to tell.


No comments: