Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Putting In The Work

Got a bunch of stuff rattling in my head right now; some of it is long and complicated, some of it is more straightforward. This is some of the straightforward stuff.

A client of mine texted me after a sparring session in which he performed poorly, particularly in light of the fact that he was planning to compete in a few weeks (those plans have since changed). In his message, he wrote something like:

"I'm sorry for my poor performance...I know how much work you've put into me."

And my immediate gut reaction was "no, that's wrong."


Specifically, what I told him was "You put the work into yourself. I'm just the guide...it's up to you to make the journey."

To take it further.

I don't "put work" into my clients. That isn't to say I don't care about them, because I do. Nor is to say that I don't constantly strive to improve my coaching, because I'm always doing that as well. But that is work on ME as a coach, not work I'm putting into THEM as a product.

My clients are not products.

I have always maintained that, because I believe that making my client a "product" ultimate dis-empowers them. Their successes and failures become mine, not theirs. I don't want that. If my role is to help empower those who train with me then I can't empower them by taking responsibility for their actions. If I fail as a coach, I'll acknowledge it. But if I show them the path, and they won't follow it, then at some point, the fault is theirs, not mine.

All I can really think of right now is this.





Are there times when, as a coach, I need to acknowledge that I did something wrong? Yes, of course. I have offered poor advice, misjudged plans, or just plain failed to inspire people on occasion. When I do so, I have a responsibility to man up and accept that I screwed up.

But the flip side of that is that my clients must accept that if I offer them guidance and they don't follow it, then they are at fault, not me. I've seen people who can slack off through full contact sparring--an impressive, but ultimately, useless accomplishment. If someone I'm training is not willing to follow my guidance, then I won't accept responsibility for the fact that they're not achieving the results they want.

On fight day, whether that is a battle in the ring, the street, or just in your mind, the only person who can win that fight is YOU. I can help make sure you're ready, but ultimately, you have to earn that win. No one else can do it for you. Not even, or perhaps especially not, me.

No comments: