Blog Archive

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Scratching at the Edges

Was talking with my father over the weekend about Tommy Kono's book, among other things. I feel like something is shaking loose, but I haven't pinpointed it yet.

The language and concepts that Kono uses to talk about weightlifting, and the psychology required to be a successful weightlifter, are almost interchangeable, word for word, with those used by martial artists, combat athletes, and combatives instructors. I'm now reading Dan Gable's book on coaching, and he's hitting a lot of similar ideas as well (he is a combat athlete, so that makes some sense). 

I feel like there are sets of universal principles out there: psychological and physical ones, and that THOSE, not individual techniques, drills, systems, or whatever, are the things that matter. I find myself less interested in collecting more ways to hit someone in the face, or twist someones joints, and more interested in how to motivate people to do anything at all. In how to manipulate the body to make it do what I want (my own, or someone else's).

I wrote in a post a few days ago that I was less interested in studying arts than I am studying with people. It was a revelation of a perspective shift. The list of martial arts I want to study used to be huge. Now, I can think of maybe four or five *systems* that I'd actually care to study. I can think of teachers of many more systems who I'd like to train with, but not because of their system, but because of THEM.

My father asked "Where are you going with all of this?" I didn't have an answer. It feels like I'm on the edge of something, but I haven't quite penetrated it yet.

Time will tell.

(Side note: the Experiment has been slowed due to lack of resources (i.e, victims). Had a couple of offers, but nothing solid. I think I may get some reps in out in Vegas next week, and will then start posting whatever I have so far.)

No comments: