Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

1973

Apparently, today is the day in 1973 when Bruce Lee died.

Of course, as a child of the late ‘70s/early ‘80s, I missed the Bruce Lee craze. My own personal media heroes took different forms (Snake-Eyes, anyone?), but I know that he was an inspiration to many people, including two of my main coaches and mentors (Tony Blauer and Mark Dellagrotte).

I know that many people argue about the originality of his ideas, or the legitimacy of his skills, but the influence that he had on martial arts in the United States, and around the world, is absolutely undeniable. How many of us would be where we are today, training the way we are, without his influence? Something was lost with his passing.

3 comments:

Jason H said...

Hands down, there were two reasons I started training in the martial arts: Bruce Lee and Snake Eyes, of the Arashikage Clan. :)

Jason H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake said...

While I'm sure we're not alone in this, I'm always glad to hear of someone else who was inspired by my favorite Commando Ninja. Or is it Ninja Commando?