Blog Archive

Friday, April 8, 2011

Today's Random Experiment

For the last several weeks, I’ve been experimenting with Dan John’s One Lift a Day concept. While not following the program exactly as he outlines it, I’ve been using the basic idea of taking one lift, and just working it for an entire workout. I like it because it allows me to really not have to think at all about what I’m doing each day, as long as I remember what lift day it is. Mostly I’ve been working with Pull ups, squats, deadlifts, KB Clean and Press, and side press. I wanted to work a farmer’s walk in there too, but it was proving difficult to measure progress. Mostly because I do a lot of working out in my basement, and there’s no clock with which I can keep time. I guess I could have just timed my sets and kept adding weight, but I decided to try an experiment today, and I liked it. By liked, I mean, it was tough and make my forearms sore for…well, until now, at least. I’ll let you know when I feel like it’s passed.

Rather than doing a farmer’s walk, I decided to do a suitcase walk. If you don’t know what that is, pick up a dumbbell in one hand. Walk. Congrats, you’re doing a suitcase walk. I used a 45lb. bell, which seemed to work okay, though I might have been able to go heavier.

I set my Gymboss for a ten minute cycle (all I had time for today), grabbed the bell, and started walking. When I couldn’t stand it anymore, I switched hands. I repated this for ten minutes. The exercise appears to have a great effect on my arms, shoulders, back, and obliques. I think I’ll keep playing with it.

I’m sure this has been done by people stronger and/or smarter than me, but I figured I’d throw it out there. It’s something to have fun with.

No comments: