Blog Archive

Monday, March 7, 2011

SPAM, Minimalism, and Quiet

I woke up twice during on Friday night: once at 2am and once at 4am. Somehow, I started getting what amounted to spam on my cell phone—YOUR GOOGLE NUMBER IS XXXX, or some such nonsense. No idea how, or why.

In the hopes that it would stop this madness, I disabled my mobile settings on Facebook and Twitter. Then I got on the bus to go to Sityodtong (yes, I took the bus. Long story, not relevant.), opened up my Kindle, and started reading Leo Babauta’s Focus Manifesto (the free version).

One of the things that Leo talks about is freeing yourself from distraction. Ways to turn off the noise from the outside world. I’ve written about the issues I have with this before, but for some reason, reading someone else’s words on a beautiful gray winter/spring morning (yes, I find those mornings beautiful), it really clicked. And I thought “why the hell do I need to be connected to Facebook or Twitter by my phone anyway?”

When I was teaching and training more or less full-time, I could come up with justifications for it. I spent a lot of time away from the computer, and it seemed important to be able to update these things. In retrospect, it really wasn’t. Does anyone really need to hear the pithy thoughts that echo through my head on a daily basis? I doubt it. I barely use Twitter. Facebook gets a little more use, but even then, not so much that I need to be able to connect to it wherever. Besides, I’m now at a computer for seven hours a day, five days a week.

I spent the whole weekend with my phone access to Facebook and Twitter disabled, and you know what? I didn’t miss it. And I don’t think anyone else did either.

So something good came out of spam. For once.

Really enjoyed Focus. Will be doing a full review of it soon.

No comments: