Blog Archive

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sparring

My sparring of late has been inconsistent. Spent a few weeks not training with the fight team, because I needed to spend that time coaching Luiz. He's fighting on Friday, and wanted to be used to hearing my voice in the cage.

Did some sparring with a few students. Some are preparing for an in-house smoker this weekend. Others just wanted to get some flight time in.

Finally did rounds with the fight team on Monday. Eight rounds, not ten, because I spent some time padding Luiz before we started.

I wish I could say it felt good, like old times, but it didn’t. Sparring, in general, hasn’t felt good lately. I’m sick of getting cracked. It’s not that anyone is doing anything wrong (if you never get popped in sparring, you’re probably not sparring very well), I’m just tired of it. One of my students landed a phenomenal shot a couple of weeks ago and my old “okay, let’s go” reaction was replaced by “what the fuck am I doing?”

I kept doing some sparring anyway, reasoning that maybe I could push through it. I had mostly been working with students, and thought that maybe if I got a session in with the fight team that I’d rediscover my old excitement.

But I didn’t. Instead, I discovered that I’m sick of getting hit in the head. I don’t like waking up with a sore neck, a sore jaw, and a worry that my typos are a result of brain damage, not fatigue. I don’t think I’ve incurred any serious damage at this point, though I can’t say for sure. I can say for sure I’m not really up to risking more right now. The motivation just isn’t there.

Rather than continuing to fight something that isn’t working, I’m going to try something a little different. I’m going to honor that little voice in the back of my head (especially because it’s not so little anymore), and just stop sparring for a while. My Muay Thai practice will focus more on clinch work, and on coaching. I’ve always been a better coach than a fighter anyway, so that’s where I’ll put my energy.

On a personal level, I’m going to start devoting more time to my own physical training. Strength and mobility work. Some cardio.

More time on the PDR material. More exploration.

It’s going to be an interesting ride. The changes keep coming.

No comments: