Blog Archive

Monday, January 3, 2011

Oh, Hey, It's 2011

And still no flying cars. That's what I get for growing up on a diet of science fiction.

Normally, this is about the time of year when I get around to reviewing my goals from the previous year, seeing how I did with them, and evaluating how I want to move forward. Except that I never really got around to setting any goals for 2010. So evaluating that is kind of tough. The one vague goal I had set was a desire to compete in Muay Thai again, but a rather severe case of Piriformis Syndrome set me back physically, and I wasn't anywhere near capable of competing before my wedding. And once wedding day hit, all thoughts of competition were out.

And that's okay. I'm not really complaining, just observing. There's not a lot to say about 2010. It was a good year. Hell, it was the year I married my wife, so it's got a lot going for it on those merits alone. But from a training perspective, I don't have a lot to say about it.

For 2011, I'm trying something a bit different. Rather than setting goals for 2011, I'm thinking about where I want to start 2012, and then working backward from there. It may sound like the same thing, but I tend to try to plan forward, rather than engineer backwards, and I'm thinking this direction might make a difference.

I expect a lot to change in 2011. I'm married. I'm older. My perspective on the world is changing. Things that seemed important years ago don't seem so important now. I rather doubt I'll have the opportunity to do another Muay Thai bout, and I'm not sure I'd really want to if I did have it. Other things, like my family, matter more.

Physically, I'm planning to shift to a more strength biased training routine. No particular reason, except that I like being strong. Waiting on some info from my physical therapist before I finalize my plans, but that's the gist of it.

For my own personal skill development--I want to spend more time looking at ways to make people fall down. I've done a lot of looking at how to hit people in the last decade, but I like throwing people, and want to work on that more.

There's some other stuff I'd like to work on, but it's not really germane to this blog.

There's already been one big change; starting on January 10th, I'll be working in the Brandeis Donor Relations office as a temp worker. I am, as Lauren summed up, "writing thank you notes to rich people". It should be interesting. It will, obviously, affect my availability for training, but it looks like I'm going to be able to keep working with most of my clientele. Mostly, it's an economic decision; we need the money, this is a way to get it, but there are other benefits too. Gives me the opportunity to do more writing work. In the future, may offer me benefits, which at a university, are pretty solid. And gives me a source of income that doesn't depend on my physical well-being.

Should be an interesting year. I'm excited to see where it goes.

No comments: