Blog Archive

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Joy of Cornering

Spent a lot of time in the corner this weekend. It was fun; exhausting, by the end of it, but fun.

I hadn’t been in the corner in a little while, and I forgot how much I really love being there. In a lot of ways, it’s the ultimate coaching moment. You get to see your student go perform, and help them live up to everything that you can see in them. The feeling of watching someone perform in the way that you knew they could is awesome. In some ways, it’s as much of a rush as competing yourself.

Luiz lost, but looked spectacular doing it. The loss was a decision, and it was clear from the reactions of the crowd that the decision was a bit controversial. You can watch the fight here and decide for yourself. It’s one of those strange losses that’s barely a loss, because people will be talking about the fight for weeks anyway.

Saturday was the in-house smoker, which was also a blast. Again, loved seeing my guys and gals perform. Everyone put in a ton of hard work, and it showed. I have to give a special shout out to Rachel, partly because I put a lot of time in with her, and partly because she proved, once again, that age is just a number.

In a lot of ways, I think I need this weekend. I’ve been very “me” focused lately, and while I need to retain some of that, I also needed a reminder about how much I love coaching. The view from the corner isn’t the same as the view from the ring, but it’s no less satisfying because of that.

No comments: