Blog Archive

Friday, January 21, 2011

Ch-ch-changes

In an interesting period of changes right now. Not entirely sure where it will all end up, but it's interesting.

Last week, I started a new job at my first Alma Mater, Brandeis. I'm working in the Donor Relations department, writing letters to people who give lots of money to the school.

There were a lot of factors behind the decision to take the job; the biggest, frankly, was economics. My business simply isn't growing fast enough/providing enough income on it's own, and this will make a huge difference in our live. It's a job that isn't dependent on whether or not clients show up, I can do it with a cold or an injury, and it's steady work.

That, and it gives me an opportunity to write more, and that's a good thing. I love to write. More than that, I believe that I'm good at it, possibly better than I am as a coach (certainly better than I am as a fighter). This gives me the opportunity to work at developing that skill set a bit.

Of course, this change means a lot of lifestyle changes as well. Teaching less means less time at the gym. So I'm sparring less (which, from a brain health standpoint, is totally okay), and I need to be more strict about when I do my strength work.

And yeah, I've been mostly focused on strength work lately. No real reason...or rather, no reason other than "I feel like it". I enjoy being strong. I miss it. Since I injured my piriformus a while back, I've not been able to do some of the crazy circuit type stuff I was doing before. It may be that some day I'll be able to again, and might get back into it. But lately, whenever I hit the gym, I just want to work on moving weight. So I'm honoring that, and doing it. It's a lot of fun.

2011 feels like it'll be a year for a lot of changes. I'm looking forward to them.

No comments: