Blog Archive

Friday, November 19, 2010

Check Me On This

Did a thorough reading of Jack Dempsey's Championship Fighting last weekend. It's a fantastic book on boxing, and contains a lot of very interesting ideas and training methods it in.

Some of what Dempsey writes jelled with some of my own recent thoughts, and I think I've got this right, but I want a spot check.

It seems to me that any time you're trying to generate force (i.e., hit someone hard), you need to align the hip and shoulder of the side you're striking with towards the target. It's true for a straight punch, a tay (Thai style roundhouse kick), and just about everything else I've been able to think of.

If there's an exception, I haven't found it yet, but I'm curious if anyone out there has a counter-example.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

I agree with you, I can't think of an exception when you are trying to hit with maximum force.