Blog Archive

Sunday, August 29, 2010

UFC 118 Thoughts

Watched the lastest UFC with a few friends. It was in Boston, and I figured if I wasn't going to see it live, I might as well at least order it. Besides, Marcus Davis was fighting, and after seeing him in camp at Sityodtong, I wanted to watch him actually throw down.

Herein are my random thoughts about the fights...

Dan Miller  vs. John Salter

Honestly, I barely remember this one. I have a vague recollection of noticing that someone involved is bad at controlling range, but that's about all I remember.

Nik Lentz   vs. Andre Winner

Lentz had a game plan, and made it work.

Joe Lauzon   vs. Gabe Ruediger

Lauzon came out like a bat out of hell, which worked really well for him in this particular fight. I wonder if he'll keep employing that strategy as he moves forward. It's great if you have the conditioning to push the pace that much, but doing it round after round can be real tiring.

Nate Diaz   vs. Marcus Davis

I was bummed about this one. Marcus is an awesome guy with a huge heart, and has some serious skills to back it up. The cut was nasty, and seemed to really screw with his vision and his range.

On the flip side, Diaz's "I'm so fucking tough" attitude annoys the shit out of me. But he made his game work, and Marcus couldn't get his going. Props to Diaz for that. And for not being an asshole post-fight.

Gray Maynard  vs. Kenny Florian

I realize that Kenny has moved on from Sityodtong, but I found his lack of kicks in this fight kind of perplexing. It seems like he's shifted to a completely boxing focused stand up game, and it didn't really work for him. Also, having a good, strong wrestler on top of you is a bad thing.


Demian Maia  vs. Mario Miranda

I was sort of surprised that Maia kept going after submissions, especially once Miranda demonstrated that those were the moments he was most likely to escape. I don't know if Maia really just wanted the finish, or if he thought he had each submission locked in.

Randy Couture   vs. James Toney

Gimmick fight is gimmicky. Also, we learn that being a great basketball player does not make you a great baseball player. No wait, that was Michael Jordon.


Frankie Edgar   vs. BJ Penn 

I'm not really good at following this stuff, so I haven't seen a lot of Edgar's fights. That said, holy crap, is this kid good. He put a clinic on Penn in just about every area of the fight. It was awesome.

As much as it pains me to agree with Joe Rogan, Penn really needs to get himself a new corner. They really had nothing useful to say, and telling your guy that "you're doing great" when you're actually losing the fight is just ridiculous. I have no idea if Penn could have beat Edgar, but he would have had a better shot with someone competent behind him.


Overall, it was a fun card. I would have liked it more if Marcus won, but them's the breaks.

No comments: