Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Short Thought On Stances

Every now and then I say something to a student, and then realize that, while it sounds very authoritative, I have no idea where exactly it came from.

For example: during a lesson the other day, I told one of my students that a good fighting stance (from a combat sport perspective), should let the combat athlete do three things.

  1. Move, in multiple directions as the situation warrants.
  2. Brace, if the fighter needs to maintain position.
  3. Generate power, because hitting people hard is kind of the name of the game (at least, the game we play at Sityodtong).
Having said that, I then realized that I really didn't know where that list came from. It just sort of tumbled out of my mouth, but it sounded good, and I liked it. I confessed as much to my student, lest he walk away thinking I was passing on some ancient wisdom.

But, as I said, I like it. I'm not sure it's a)right, or b)complete, but I think there's a germ of something useful there.

What do you all think?

[Note: I am specifically talking about a stance for combat sport in this one. "Stance" in self-defense is a whole different concept/issue/whatever.]

No comments: