Blog Archive

Friday, July 16, 2010

Expression

I feel like I'm in a period of transition, or on the crest of a major change in the way I think about my training. It's hard to tell.

It started a few months ago, when Paul made a comment about how he had three or four essential concepts that he wished he could just download into student's brains. I started thinking about what my own list of those essential concepts would be. I never tried to articulate or write down a complete list; a few things, like timing, angles & footwork, and power generation, kept creeping through my head.

Now I find that when I'm teaching and training, I'm talking more about, and wanting to play more with principles, not techniques. Which is sometimes maddening, because I know that people at a certain level need concrete techniques and drills. Hell, I still need concrete drills, but part of me wants to be able to just say "hey, go play with creating angles that maximize your offensive potential", and let people go. But that's totally unfair to students and is poor pedagogy.

As I'm playing with this stuff, I'm struggling wtih my vocabulary as well. I keep using the term "weight transfer" when talking about power generation, but I reallly need figure out how exactly I mean it. It just sort of escaped my brain one day, and I've been using it ever since. It does seem to work, but as I experienced today with a student, it can also start drifting into some really esoteric places.

It's fun, but also frustrating. I feel like I'm right on the edge of a big revelation, but not quite there yet.

No comments: