Blog Archive

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reclaiming the Blade

Saw a bit about this on the Cimmerian, and thought it looked pretty cool. I'll have to pick it up.

Western Martial Arts have fascinated me for...well, most of my life, I guess. I just didn't know it. Like a lot of people, I was raised with the (rather stupid) notion that medieval European knights were just big clumsy oafs with heavy swords, rather than highly skilled martial artists. It's one of those beliefs that fails to survive thirty seconds of reasonable thought, but still gets passed all over the place.

WMA is on my long list of arts I'd love to try to study some day (along with various Filipino Martial Arts, Judo, Archery, Koryu, and some of the internal Chinese systems). Honestly, it's probably up towards the top. Whether I get around to it or not, the movie looks like it's worth checking out.

No comments: