Blog Archive

Monday, June 8, 2009

Yearly Goal Check In

About six months ago, I set a variety of life goals for myself . In the interest of honest self-assessment, I decided to do a six month check in and see how I'm doing. Goals don't mean much if you don't keep track of them.


Personal Defense Readiness:


Goal: Increase my understanding of the PDR methods, and improve my ability to both coach and perform the fundamental drills of the system.


Actions:

  • Attend at LEAST two major Blauer Tactical training sessions before the end of the year.

I've already done one (the Weapons Protection Course). Number two will have to wait until October, probably.
  • Spend one hour per week reviewing a Blauer Tactical training video (or portion thereof).

While not 100% consistent, I have been pretty good about this one.
  • Participate in drills with my students as often as class time reasonably allows.


I've actually managed to block of some time to get work in with a couple of my students, which has been extremely helpful.


Result: This is going really well, actually. I feel as though I have a long way to go with the PDR material, but I am definitely improving both in my performance of it, and my coaching of it. I'm pretty well satisfied.


Muay Thai

Goal: Strengthen my ability to fight in the clinch.

Actions:

  • Engage in at least ten minutes of clinch drills at every practice session.

Man, I don't even know. Probably not quite EVERY practice session, but I have done a lot of clinching lately.
  • During sparring, make an effort to force a clinch at least once a round.

This, I think I've slacked off on a bit.

I've also started working on the clinch with Paul a lot, which has helped.

Result: My clinch has definitely improved a lot in the past six months. I've got a long ways to go before I'm satisfied, but I'm moving in the right direction.


Judo


Goal: Attend Judo practice regularly


Result: Fail. Not even close. I don't remember the last time I got on the mat. I've gotten some training in with Rick, but even that's been sporadic since his car broke. There's just been a poor synchronization of my fiances schedule, Judo schedules, and the need to take car of the dog. I'll get back there eventually, I hope.


Of course, the year ain't over yet!


No comments: