Blog Archive

Monday, March 24, 2008

Judo, Week Twenty-Five: Perhaps, Not So Intense.

This week proved to be a different form of experimentation for me; I experimented with trying to listen to my body.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I’ve never been very good at listening to my body; indoctrinated for years in the mindset of “just push through it”, I’ve got marvelously adept at just shutting down signals from my body, and pushing myself not only to the point of injury or sickness, but sometimes, right past it.

The weariness in my body started on Tuesday morning, after an intense Monday night sparring session that included two rounds with one of our rising professional Muay Thai fighters. It was made worse after Tuesday night’s Judo practice, which was very intense, courtesy of Sensei Vic. There was a lot of throwing, some groundwork drills, and a lot of randori. The randori was ok, but the general weariness spreading through my body didn’t help things out much. John, one of the yellow belts, was using an interesting gripping strategy which he briefly explained afterwards, but which I have no had a chance to practice.

By Wednesday, I had developed an odd little cough/tickle in the back of my throat. It was still there on Thursday, so I decided to take a chance, knowing that Friday and Saturday would be heavy training days, and just take the day off. Which I did; in retrospect, I may have been overestimating things; while the cough hasn’t gone away, it hasn’t gotten much worse either. I suspect I might have made it through the training ok, but maybe not. It’s a bit hard to tell.

In either case, I seem to be surviving the hard workouts ok, so I’ll keep pushing a little bit. My major goal for the next week or two is to be able to show up for the PDR Advanced session on April 3rd healthy and happy, and ready to train. If I have to cut back a little bit in other areas to make that happen, so be it.

No comments: