Blog Archive

Thursday, February 21, 2008

An interesting piece of history.

I know very little about the history of Muay Thai, or of Thailand in particular. A lot of what I know is oral apocrypha from my Muay Thai training, which I always take with a block of salt (martial artists spread the weirdest stories). My attempts to learn more have generally been thwarted by the fact that there just aren’t a lot of resources out there: I’ve yet to find a good general history of Thailand anywhere. Let alone a good history of Muay Thai, though I know there are some people working on that research right now.

In any case, this video is interesting (warning: there may be sound. There is also a random movie trailer in the middle of the historical footage.). Very grainy and hard to see (the glare on my monitor right now does not help), but this is clearly an older style of Muay Thai, with a)no gloves, and b)much less of a western boxing influence. Cool stuff to see.

No comments: