Blog Archive

Friday, October 12, 2007

Judo, Day Four

With the addition of Judo to my training cycle, I’m still learning how to regulate my body a bit. In this case, I was STARVING before I left for practice, so I grabbed a power bar-like object; I frequently do this before heading to Sityodtong, just to help take the edge off my hunger long enough to train. The particular variety of bar I got this time (a different one from my usual) seemed to not sit well with me during Judo warm ups, and I actually felt a little queasy. Whether that’s the bar, or something else going on with my body, it’s hard to say. Experimentation will continue.

For the most part, the practice was very much like the last one. There were more calisthenics and no mat holds. We did go over the mechanics for Ippon Seionage, or the one-armed shoulder throw, which may be one of the most well known techniques in Judo. It was really nice to get a good, solid breakdown of the mechanics, which is something I feel like I haven’t really gotten for a lot of the throws I’ve worked on.

There was also a lot of falling practice, which has inspired some thoughts I want to put into a separate post.

After practice was over, someone gave Sensei the bright idea of pulling down a rope from the rafters. The purpose of this little knotted torture device? Apparently, you’re supposed to be able to pull yourself up it, using only your arms, while holding your legs parallel to the ground, and then lower yourself back down in the same position. I actually surprised myself by getting up to the top (though my legs were flapping like crazy), but going back down proved impossible. It was a neat challenge though…something to work on for the future.

1 comment:

ProfessorMortis said...

It's going to be a long, long time before I can do the rope.

I've been eating dinner at 4:30/5 and it seems to work okay for me. The one time I ate a late, heavy dinner it nearly killed me. I suspect that the fact that Judo days correspond with my early go to/leave work days probably helps.